Gum Recession Treatment
Gum recession is a common problem where the gum edges around the tooth begins to pull away, exposing the crown and root of the tooth. Gum recession is one of the early signs of periodontal (gum) disease as the pockets and gaps that are created by receding gums make is easy for plaque bacteria to build up.
What are the causes of gum recession?
- Severe periodontal (gum) disease
- Brushing your teeth to hard can wear away your gums and enamel
- Teeth grinding or clenching puts too much force on the gums and teeth, which can result in gum recession
- Poor dental hygiene makes it easier for plaque to harden into calculus, which increases your chances of developing gum disease
- Hormonal fluctuations caused by puberty, pregnancy, or menopause can create gum sensitivity to plaque bacteria, which can lead to gum disease
- Smoking allows plaque bacteria to stick to teeth, leading to gum disease and gum recession
What are the treatment options for gum recession?
At Pinnacle Dental Group, our specialists use a breakthrough technique called the Pinhole® Surgical Technique (PST) to correct gum recession. This is a non-invasive procedure where a needle is used to make a tiny hole in your gums, and the gum tissue is manipulated using specialty instruments to cover the areas that are exposed due to gum recession. Since there is no cutting or stitching, patients can expect minimal post-operative pain or swelling. Patients will notice a significant cosmetic improvement immediately after the procedure.
Benefits of the PST procedure:
- Minimally invasive alternative to gum surgery
- No cutting or stitching involved
- Immediate cosmetic improvement
- Faster recovery and healing time
If you’d like to learn more or schedule a consultation, fill out the form below and someone from our team will be in touch.